For the first time ever, the American Academy of Pediatrics has released recommendations geared towards young people (and parents of young people) who are interested in getting tattoos, piercings or other forms of body modifications. These recommendations will be published in the October 2017 issue of Pediatrics and will be part of a report covering the different types and methods, as well as complications, of body modifications.
Some of the highlights of the report include:
– The most serious form of complications from body modifications is infection. Complications arising from tattoos are rare.
– The tattoo parlor or shop should be reputable, clean, and sterile. The facility should be state regulated and should follow all state guidelines. Aftercare instructions should be provided by the facility and should note signs of infection and what to do should infection occur.
– Body modification practices that fall under the category of scarification should be avoided as they are not as heavily regulated as tattooing or piercing and are illegal in some states. Scarification includes methods like cutting, burning or branding.
– Check your medications before getting a tattoo. Some medications affect the immune system. Also, those who are considering a tattoo should make sure that their immunizations are current.
– Consider the societal implications of tattoos. Even though they are becoming more coming, many believe that tattoos could still harm chances of employment.
The AAP also included a section on tattoo removal in the report, noting that adolescents may tend to overestimate laser tattoo removal and should be reminded of the cost and difficulty presented in removing tattoos. The report also discusses the risks of laser tattoo removal and the lack of standardization in the pricing structure.
We couldn’t agree more. It is not a good idea, especially for adolescents, to rely on laser tattoo removal before getting a tattoo. Tattoos should be planned for as permanent.
Remove a Tattoo – laser tattoo removal clinic offers safe and affordable laser tattoo removal. Dr. Brotzman, a physician with thirty years of clinical experience, performs each and every treatment. Call us today for your free consultation!